Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Post--Belgrade

I've been getting behind again with updating this blog, but I guess it's better late than never! I have a whole bunch of photos to post, and I'll try to do that in the next few days.

I'll start by posting some pictures of Belgrade. I was there for the day about a month ago, on my way to Italy. I had a 9 hour layover, so I took the opportunity to go around the city and do some sightseeing.

This first photo is a bombed-out building. I think it was bombed by the US back in the 90's. i know they repaired most of the damage to the city, but left some of the buildings damaged purposely as a reminder.

Most of the city is very nice. I spent a lot of the time while I was there in Kalemegdan citadel, which is really like a big park. There are lots of ruins and old buildings from when it was used as a citadel, mixed in with green areas and trees and some great views of the Danube river.

Having woken up at 3:45 that morning, it was great to just sit and look at the pretty river.






There are also a lot of churches in Belgrade (surprise, surprise). I was there the day before Palm Sunday and something interesting that I noticed was that a lot of people were buying bells from vendors on the street. I don't know why or if it had anything to do with the religious holiday the next day.


Here are some pictures of churches:




The first one is a small Russian Orthodox church. I think it was built by exiled Russians in the early 20th century. The second one is a small church on the grounds of the citadel. It was beautiful inside, but unfortunately, photos of the interior are not allowed.
Belgrade was great and I wish I'd had more time there than just one day. I've heard it has a great nightlife!


No comments: