Sunday, June 1, 2008

Catania and Taormina

After my day in Belgrade, I went on to Italy. I was visiting A. in Catania. I was there for 2 days, and we spent the morining of the first day in Taormina, which is a beautiful little town not far from Catania. It's probably the most touristy place in that part of Sicily, and as such, everything is about twice as expensive as it would be anywhere else on the island. Here is a picture of an old church in Taormina.

After walking around the town for a little while, we returned to Catania for lunch at the Trattoria dei Fiori, which is a little restaurant where we always go when I'm there. They make their own pasta and it's so delicious. Here's a picture of my lunch:

I was eating pasta all Norma, which is one of my favorite things to eat. It's fried eggplant served over pasta with tomato sauce, covered in ricotta salata cheese. Yum!

The next day, I spent some time walking around Catania, revisiting my old haunts. Here's a picture of the Duomo in Catania, which is built in the Baroque style.


And finally, a picture of the pescheria (fish market) which is held every morning near Piazza Duomo. I bought a block of Ricotta Salata cheese while I was there.



No comments: