Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tetovo

While it would be quite a stretch to call Tetovo a beautiful place, it does have some interesting sights to see. When A. was here, we took a little tour of the town and saw what it has to offer. This is the painted mosque:


It's located near the river and the grounds are peaceful and beautiful, if you can ignore all the litter.

There's also a Bektashi monastery there. The Bektashi are a sect of Islam, I believe, similar to the Sufis or dervishes. I apologize for not being better informed! I'll have to find out more info and post it later. Anyway, A. and I walked to the monastery, but we only looked at it from the outside because I'm not sure they would have let me in. On the way, we passed an old cemetary and then we came to the monastery.















I also spent the day in Tetovo when my mom came to visit, but we did a few different things. For example, we saw an old communist monument that they've built in the old town there.
And what communist monument would be complete without a bust of Marshal Tito?



No comments: