Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Never a dull moment

Today began like any other day. I arrived to work early because of a meeting and then taught my first class at 12. After my first class, I returned to my office, which was all abuzz with the news that some kind of conflict was taking place in Tetovo and the surrounding areas, which is near where I work. We weren't sure exactly what was going on or what we should do, so we decided to teach our next classes as normal.
About half an hour into the class, a student came in with an announcement. He told us that other instructors were allowing students to leave early, as there was some fear that the roads would soon be blocked off. Of course, I let my class go early and then joined my fellow foreign colleagues to try to make our way back to Skopje. We were able to get a ride and made it back without any problems. But as we were on the road back, we did notice several military trucks and jeeps going in the opposite direction, towards Tetovo.
Apparently, what happened is that some fugitives from Kosovo were being chased by the police in the area and there was a shootout which killed 7 people. Here's a link to an article about what happened:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/07/europe/EU-GEN-Macedonia-Fugitives.php

1 comment:

mojinho said...

i liked it better when you wrote about animals.

JUST KIDDING! jesus i hope you're OK! sounds like the problem is pretty local, though and not near you . . .