Thursday, September 27, 2007

Skopje old town

Skopje is made of concrete buildings, but it is also so much more! There is an old part of the city, with little streets and historical sites, and all those wonderful things you get to see when you go to Europe. There's a big fortress, Fortress Kale, which overlooks the rest of the city. It's basically ruins and, like a lot of other things I've seen here, there is a lot of potential which is not being lived up to. It has a great view of the city and wandering around the ruins is interesting, but it is full of litter and there is no way to find out any information about the place. Even so, it's a nice site and a good place to take pictures. The picture to the left here is one I took from the fortress of Mount Vodno, which is where the giant flaming cross lives.










There are some Turkish baths in the old town, too. I didn't go inside, but here they are from the outside.






The other fun parts of the old town are the little windy streets and the big covered market. I went there on a Sunday, so a lot of places were closed and at one point I realized that I was the only woman in sight. I think the old town is mostly inhabited by Albanians, who are Muslims, so maybe that explains the lack of women. I don't have any pictures of the market at the moment, but I will be sure to post them when I do. Going into the market is a pretty intense experience. There are rows and rows of tables and stalls, and different parts of the market sell different things. The fruit and vegetable area is my favorite part. The tables are heaped high with all different kinds of fresh fruit and vegetables, and you walk down the rows and sellers call out to you to try to get you to buy from them. At least, I think that is what they want, but since I don't speak Albanian or Macedonian, they could really be saying anything to me.

1 comment:

Elise said...

In some ways Skopje sounds a lot like Guanajuato, Mexico but instead of a big flaming cross that lights up at night there's a guy named Pipila holding a torch. Also, the market structure is the same. I wonder if the market idea came over to Mexico with the Spaniards. I suppose that could explain it. :)